CAPPMoms

We are Catholic moms who follow the basic tenets of Attachment Parenting. We are different personalities; we're not clones, so you should see some varying opinions on different subjects. Join us as we continue on this exciting ride known as Catholic Mothering!

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Books for the Graduate

My niece has just graduated from high school and is headed to college. She is my godchild and I would like to make a bag of books for her. We were very close when she was little, and shared an interest in cats and reading. Then my son was born, she got older and more involved in school and sports, and we did not spend as much time together as I would have liked.

I want to give her some books for fun and some for meaningful reading. I know it is hopelessly old-fashioned to give graduates dictionaries or thesauruses these days. So I would welcome any of your suggestions for appropriate books.

This is what I have thought of, so far:

Kristin Lavransdatter, in the new translation: a good book for older teen girls, I think. Many of the situations are timeless (good girl attracted to bad boy, and the consequences)

Lucky Jim, so that she will take the often absurd antics of academics with a grain of humor

Buddenbrooks, just because I love it and it is a classic

For beach reading: Maeve Binchy's Firefly Summer, my favorite of her novels

Books for a bad day: Excellent Women. by Barbara Pym; some P.G.Wodehouse short stories;Lake Woebegone Days

and because I want to sneak a bit of "Catholic stuff" in there, some Father Brown mysteries.

This is all I can come up with after a stressful day. I would LOVE to hear what your suggestions are! Thanks.