CAPPMoms

We are Catholic moms who follow the basic tenets of Attachment Parenting. We are different personalities; we're not clones, so you should see some varying opinions on different subjects. Join us as we continue on this exciting ride known as Catholic Mothering!

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Now I'm it!!

Ten years ago: I was on a road trip with my parents, siblings and then-fiancé-now-husband. We drove all over the west coast and camped out in Yellowstone National Park on the top of a mountain where it hailed BIG time and rained buckets later. We then realized the importance of picking a camp spot that isn’t the lowest point – our tents were flooded and I ended up sharing my sleeping bag with my 15yo sister. We drove to Yosemite, spent time there (*gorgeous* place but too crowded), spent time in Colorado – my second home, and went to Vegas where I won some money on the poker slots while my fiancé sipped margaritas in the hotel pool. It was a two-week trip and I’d love to do it again. Memories were certainly made then.

Five years ago: I quit my job as a day care teacher as I found out I was pregnant with child #2 (wait, that was 6 years ago! Oh well, bear with me J). My then 10-month old daughter was in the infant room of the same day care I worked in. For the first time in 6 months, I was able to stay home with her instead of working. It was a godsend – I taught her sign language and we went for walks and spent time together. It was the last time it was just me and her, 9 months later we were joined by her little sister.

One year ago: in August, I found out I was pregnant. It was a shock; we considered ourselves “done” for the time as we had three girls and it was enough just handling those three. For a long time, I was very ambivalent about the pregnancy and, to be honest, I was quite angry with God (“We goofed up ONE time and we don’t get a pass?!”). It wasn’t until I saw the ultrasound picture (it was 4-D) when my ambivalence turned into maternal love. And it wasn’t until Mr. Sean was born, 13 hours into labor, 9 days “late” when I fell in love for the second time in my life.

Yesterday: We went to an amusement park with the kids. The local policeman’s union (FOP) sponsors a family outing and my father, being a retired cop, took all the kids and grandkids out. We packed a huge picnic lunch, cleaned up the stroller, packed our stuff, and went. The girls had a BLAST. I’ve noticed that Daughter #2 gets a thrill out of being a daredevil – on the large swings, she was the only child with her hands up and feet flapping in the wind. She was so disappointed that she couldn’t go on the big roller coasters and Daughter #1 was supremely disappointed that she wasn’t tall enough for the bumper cars. Poor baby, she has another two inches to grow before next year’s outing. Daughter #3 was content going on the little kiddie rides. This year I went on the Spinning Teacups with my two big girls and my 9yo niece. After they got their thrills with trying to make Mom sick :blech:, I gave them a ride they will remember for a long time. Let’s just say we had to prop them up when the ride stopped.

Tomorrow: We are going to take a day off. We’ve been talking of getting a swimming pool for our backyard for some time now and since the temps are supposed to be off the charts (100 degrees and up), it looks like the perfect time for some wet fun. Plus it’ll wear the kids out faster.

Five snacks I enjoy: well, before I had to eliminate dairy from my diet due to Mr. Sean’s dairy intolerance, it was anything with chocolate. Now I enjoy salsa with chips, pretzels, a cold Pepsi with Lemon slice, nachos (again, pre-Mr. Sean), and Swedish fish.

Five songs I know all the words to: You Give Love a Bad Name (Bon Jovi), Dead or Alive (Bon Jovi), Go Tell it on the Mountain (Christmas carol), I Need Love (LL Cool J), Soldier Boy (The Shirelles)

Five things I would do with $100 million: Adopt all of the children waiting in foster care and build a huge home for us all, travel, put some aside for my kids, buy my sister a house, invest

Five places I would escape to: my office, the library, school (college), my imagination, the Internet and my CAPP friends

Five bad habits: procrastinating, criticizing, not finishing projects I start, impatience with small children, temper

Five things I like doing: cuddling with my baby, reading to my girls, pretending to eat at my dd’s restaurant, reading by myself, having a kid-less conversation with my husband

Five things I'd never wear: fishnet stocking, animal prints, spike heels, belly-button shirts, and capris

Five TV shows I like: CSI, Survivor, Crossing Jordan, Pimp my Ride, Scooby Doo

Five biggest joys of the moment: successfully breastfeeding my son, relaxing enough to let my girls play in the office, having a clean sink, knowing my husband came home early today which means I will get to take a nap later, the summer sun

Five favorite toys: my computer in the office, my new computer in the kitchen (for the kids’ use), my digital camera, my PhotoSmart printer, and my hand-me-down scanner

Five new victims: My sister Dee, and…oh, I don’t know!! TiaKay took all the good ones! ;-)