CAPPMoms

We are Catholic moms who follow the basic tenets of Attachment Parenting. We are different personalities; we're not clones, so you should see some varying opinions on different subjects. Join us as we continue on this exciting ride known as Catholic Mothering!

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Whatcha Reading?!

I'm making a quick-o trip to our local library as soon as it opens this morning, as I discovered on their webpage last night that a book I'd reserved has come in, and they are going to send it back today if I don't come get it. So, I'm going to drag the kids over to the library (can you imagine that I have offspring that don't love the library? what a genetic twist.... I digress).

So, I've got a few things on reserve..... The Color of Love looked interesting...

After years of living with a drunken and abusive husband, Cheek's mother separated from her husband in 1961 in Winston--Salem, North Carolina. She began a clandestine relationship with a black man, Cornelius Tucker, who was everything her husband was not. Ten-year-old Cheek was enlisted to keep the relationship secret, which they managed for the most part until his mother became pregnant and gave birth to a brown-skinned baby. In the face of rabid racial attitudes and Klan violence, Cheek's mother and Tucker remained steadfast. But his vengeful father and other family members testified against the mother in a custody case that carried the threat of prison for violating the state's anti-miscegenation law. From the perspective of a young boy, Cheek recalls the horrendous choices that were forced on his mother and his separation from a loving family. Cheek recalls the painful guilt his mother suffered and the seething hatred he felt for years. This is a powerful story of love and forgiveness in the context of racial hatred during a tumultuous time in the South.

I also have A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber, a follow up to her first "yarn" book The Shop on Blossom Street. Slightly fluffy, but we need fluff in our lives.

I suggested a title to our local library system, so I was first on the reserve list for this book, The Friend Who Got Away, Twenty Women's True Life Tales of Friendships that Blew Up, Burned Out or Faded Away . I've had a couple of childhood friendships that blew up, a few college friendships that faded away....

That's all that is ready today.... I have a few more titles reserved that have not come in yet. When they are in, I'll post!

So, what are YOU reading?!