CAPPMoms

We are Catholic moms who follow the basic tenets of Attachment Parenting. We are different personalities; we're not clones, so you should see some varying opinions on different subjects. Join us as we continue on this exciting ride known as Catholic Mothering!

Friday, September 09, 2005

Happy New Year!

Is it really "the most wonderful time of the year" as the Staples ad would have it? Everyone may have a different answer, but I love this time of year. I always think that the new year should begin in September, and not just because I am a school-supply junkie.

The change in the weather (mercifully, the humidity has plummetted while the temps are still in the pleasant low-80s) makes me hopeful and encourages me to stir my lazy stumps and get going on new, or even old projects.

House cleaning, decluttering and organizing, cooking for the freezer, baking again, now that the entire house does not feel like an oven---all of these activities seem possible again, even downright attractive. I have rejoined Flylady and am already seeing some real improvement in the comfort and order of our home.

I have signed up for a fitness class at the Y, and will be doing mom and tot swim with my young'un. We are savoring the pleasures of walking once again, looking forward to even cooler days ("sweater weather") and the beautiful fall colors on the trees. Best of all my spiritual life has picked up. I can actually focus on serious reading again, and can pray my Scriptural Rosary while nursing the little one down at night.

We look forward to family gatherings (a christening last week, an aunt's 50th jubilee as a Sister of Charity next week) and casual entertaining with friends. School has begun--a new adventure for our sixth-grader. Preliminary plans for Christmas are even underway. Life in general seems hopeful and full of promise.

Like a darker thread running through the warm fabric of these days, the memory of September 11, 2001 is a constant reminder of what we have lost, yet an opportunity to reflect on the blessings we have, especially our baby, born in 2003. So in a way, this is the "most wonderful time of the year" after all--like New Year's, Thanksgiving and Christmas rolled into one.

I wish you all the pleasures of this season.