CAPPMoms

We are Catholic moms who follow the basic tenets of Attachment Parenting. We are different personalities; we're not clones, so you should see some varying opinions on different subjects. Join us as we continue on this exciting ride known as Catholic Mothering!

Friday, September 30, 2005

The Urban Swing

My older boy loves the poem "The Swing" by Robert Louis Stevenson. We spent many happy hours in playgrounds all over NYC. He still enjoys swinging; the therapists would say it provides necessary vestibular stimulation. He thinks it is just fun.

Now the little one enjoys the playground, too. I recite the poem to him, as I did to his brother, and he shrieks with delight as he goes higher and higher. I have often felt that though the poem paints a lovely word picture, it isn't really reflective of what the boys see as they swing. "Rivers and trees and cattle and all?" I don't think so. OK there are trees.

So today at the park I rewrote the poem for two city kids who love to swing.

How do you like to go up in the swing?
Up in the air so blue?
Oh I do think it's the pleasantest thing
Ever a child can do.

Up in the air and over the fence,
Where I can see so wide,
Children and trees and squirrels and all,
Monkey bars and the slide.

Till I look down on the ballfields green
Down on the dirt so brown,
Up in the air I go flying again!
Up in the air and down!