CAPPMoms

We are Catholic moms who follow the basic tenets of Attachment Parenting. We are different personalities; we're not clones, so you should see some varying opinions on different subjects. Join us as we continue on this exciting ride known as Catholic Mothering!

Monday, January 23, 2006

I'm just tired...

It was a rough weekend. There was a death in the family of close friends, and I was there within minutes of his death to be with his family in the aftermath. Until the police could verify that it was indeed a natural death (an old ill man on hospice), it was considered a crime scene, and we were all suspects. ("Ma'am, please give me your name, address, phone, social security number, eye color, height, weight, time of arrival, and don't leave until I say you can leave.") To see his big ol' dog try to lick his hand to get him to pet him was just, well, sadder than sad. She's slept on the floor facing the door in the front room every night since then, waiting for him to come back home.

Then on Saturday, what was supposed to be a fun family outing for a treat at 7-11 turned into a big fight. DH took the kids in for the icees, and, unbeknownst to me, left the gas pump nozzle in the tank, filling up the vehicle. I was reading in the car, as I wanted him to have the fun of shepherding 3 kids in and out of 7-11.

I'm not being snarky, we do this maybe once a week when he is at work, and I wanted to share it. So, cars were piling up in line at the pumps, so I decided to pull the car up to the front of the 7-11, not realizing the nozzle was still connected. I did that, and when DH came out, he was pretty upset about me pulling out. I felt like the world's BIGGEST idiot, having only tried to be a considerate person, and we ended up in a lovely argument that seemed to fester the rest of the weekend. I was reading when they went inside, and didn't hear anything, or feel anything to even know it was still connected, or that it dropped off when I pulled away. And I guess it could have been a huge tragedy, ie, fireballs, or whatever.... but still.

After Mass yesterday, a friend's baby was baptized. Again, what should have been nice, was in part ruined by the end of it all. Kid3 is only a little one, 4. Kid3 behaves like a 4 year old. I deal with it every day, it is my world. So, why is my DH incapable of managing it for even an hour without losing it? Tension was rising, and we went to eat after, and had to deal with a tired cranky hungry K3 then as well.

On to the ILs house, where I had to sit still and listen to the BILs go on and on with things that to the casual listener would mean nothing but to the principal players, would easily be interpreted as snarkiness. Even his mother threw in a snide remark that was unnecessary. I don't know why things have deteriorated into what they are now, but I do know that they are not very capable of having a calm conversation to discuss it and perhaps resolve it, so it is put up, or never show up. (Maybe that's my answer...)

And God forgive you if the children want to talk and laugh and be a part of the conversation when at Grandma and Grandpa's house. Children are NOT to be heard, but patted on the head as an acknowledgement of their presence on arrival, and then they are supposed to disappear. No wonder the kids don't enjoy visiting there. K3 even tells me "I no wanna go to that house." Sigh.

Supper was OK, but the kids were squirrelly by the end of the evening, so I just wanted them to go to bed, so that turned into another argument over what time bedtime was. Sleep could not come soon enough.

And now it is Monday AM. DH didn't hear his alarm, so I heard it and woke up, then the dog woke up, and then K3 woke up and came in, and then K1 came in while DH was in the shower, having lost a tooth in the night. And so my hopes of having a few minutes of quiet with a cup of coffee and a time for some prayer for patience didn't happen.

DH left his lunch here that I packed for him. K1 and K2 got in a big argument that escalated into shoving, and once I had the kids in, then out of the tub, the hot water tank was empty. So, here I sit, with a now-lukewarm cup of coffee, waiting for it to reheat.

I was blog surfing and saw some of the posts around the blogworld about yesterday's march to mark the Anniversary of Roe V. Wade..... the two mindsets are so incompatible that it isn't even funny. There is no way that there can ever be reconciliation between the two, IMHO. And to hear the rhetoric and see the pictures of the Pro Abortion side, well, it is sickening to me.

So, all in all, come Monday morning at 9am, I am just tired. The whole week is stretching out before me..... more of the same, with a funeral mixed in. So, if you read this, maybe throw one up my way, and I'm going to go hit the showers, and see if a change of venue will help with a change of outlook all around.

Our Lady of Guadalupe, pray for us!