CAPPMoms

We are Catholic moms who follow the basic tenets of Attachment Parenting. We are different personalities; we're not clones, so you should see some varying opinions on different subjects. Join us as we continue on this exciting ride known as Catholic Mothering!

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Random Junk

Lots going on. Our homeschool is back in session. I tested the kids in reading with a very general test, and found that both of the bigger kids who are in 2nd and 3rd grade, are pretty easily reading on the 4th and 5th grade level. That's reassuring to me. Seems to me that without the external, regularly-appearing measures of progress like one gets in a school situation, a lot of HSers can begin to doubt their abilities and start to wonder if the kids really are learning. The third kidlet at 4 is so eager to do "schoolwork" every day, even Saturday and Sunday, that it's funny. He loves to trace whatever I'll print out using one of those dotted fonts; he has little books he loves to work in that ask him "which is different?" or "circle the yellow square", etc. He has his own little desk that I was able to snag from a sale at the local public school, that is just his size. Me, I continue to have moments where I bang my head in frustration, trying to motivate kids to do their work. Other times, we have golden "AHA!" moments where it is hugely evident that we're doing well. The big kids had a ball last night telling Daddy all about Benjamin Franklin (whose birthday was yesterday), and we all learned something!

DH has been fighting an ongoing bronchial thing for a couple of weeks. He sounds like Barry White when he talks, and poor guy, he laid awake and coughed for several nights with a dry hacking cough, until I treated him with some of the new Triaminic cough strips. They are made like those instantly dissolving breath strips that look like a thin film, and you put them on your tongue. So, last night, he had 2 cough strips and a Tylenol PM, and he got the best sleep of several weeks. Ahem, so did I ;)

We've signed onto CatechismClass.com and I've been very impressed with the site. Kids wanted to log on Sunday AM when we had some time before we had to go up to church, but you cannot do lessons on Sunday, even when you click on a previous day's lesson missed.

Yesterday was spent doing other schoolwork, then the kids went to a friend's house while I did some serious decluttering and tidying up. When you've got little kids, it seems impossible at times to make a dent in all the little bits of debris that find their way all over the house. I did a lot of picking up of small items in one room, then trekking into 4 other rooms to put all the little pieces of whatever where they belonged. And I can't seem to do things like this when the kids are here, on the level I managed to do yesterday, because they pull me away to do something, and I don't get back on track. I struggle with focus sometimes, so yesterday was an immeasureable blessing! Plus, it was the first time I'd been alone by myself here in the new house! So, I made a CD with a bunch of loud pounding music, and cranked it up to get me moving!

Pat Benatar, Cheap Trick, Rolling Stones, among others, really old stuff mostly, but it was fun to listen to!

We have to replace the stockade fence here at the house, so I had 3 different companies come out and give me estimates. Yikes. What a vacation we could take for the price of an installed stockade fence. But, DH works 50 hours a week, and it would take months for the two of us do this particular task on our own. We'd still be putting out plenty for new materials if it was DIY, and since we've got panels down between our yard and the neighbor, and we both have kids and pets, it has to be done now. Sigh. Ah the joys of homeownership, yes?!

We had an interesting experience this past weekend, when a friend's son was brought to the local synagogue for his Hebrew naming and a blessing. So, we attended the entire Shabat services (well, until I had to take my itchy 4 year old out after he had reached his limit, which to his credit, was about a hour's worth of sitting fairly quietly) as a family. I was very moved by the service; I liked the music and the readings, and the Rabbi was very personable too. He knew when to make light of the fact that the baby in question was fussy as all getout.... and the big sisters were crawling around being less than well behaved, and he hurried things up. My friend was embarrassed, but hey, they're kids, and they behave like, well, kids at times. And the cheesecake they had at the reception! Oh my! Easily 4" thick, and 14" across, topped with berries. I was drooling and looking for a plate when I realized my family had already left, so I didn't get a piece. I told my friend I'd happily come back as a guest to her Shabat services, if they'd have that cheesecake again!

I'm rambling. But I wanted to post something different now, not a cut and paste, or a quiz, or an article or link. I wanted to write about me and my life. Thanks for reading, if you made it this far. So, if you made it this far, let me know what you think! Comment away... but be kind! Have a great Wednesday.