CAPPMoms

We are Catholic moms who follow the basic tenets of Attachment Parenting. We are different personalities; we're not clones, so you should see some varying opinions on different subjects. Join us as we continue on this exciting ride known as Catholic Mothering!

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Ice thoughts

I was skating with my older son at our local ice rink. We arrived at the beginning of the session. The ice was like glass: freshly zambonie'd and as slippery as a mirror. It took him awhile to find his feet but soon he was gliding and swooping away in enjoyment.

I love to skate. I remember going to the small swampy pond near my house when I was a kid. Everyone hung out there. Even if you didn't have skates, you could slide around on the ice. We would stay til the sun finally sank and the cold grey air seeped into our fingers and toes. On Wednesdays (Catholic schools' half-day) we would go to the newly-opened rink, the same one I take my son to now. The plaza in front would be jammed with Catholic school kids. You'd see cousins, and kids you knew from playing basketball or scouts from other parishes. Clumps of girls would skate together, giggling and pointedly ignoring the boys who shouted and raced past, showing off.
Even there we felt the cold, despite the big "bubble" roof, but we could buy some hot chocolate (actually hot Swiss Miss) and burn our tongues while our mittened hands clumsily clutched the styrofoam cups.

The last time it was cold enough for long enough to skate on the pond near my house was four winters ago. I was heavily pregnant with my younger son and could not risk a fall. Ever since then I have longed to skate outside on a pond again. We are lucky to have the rink so convenient to our house, but there is something too close to being a hamster on a wheel...round and round, round and round....

Still, the last time we went to the rink, my son met up with a girl from his class. She talked to him for awhile and then on the ice, my son skated near (but not exactly with) her, and showed off some of his moves....it is nice to see that some things don't change. Even for seventh-graders.