CAPPMoms

We are Catholic moms who follow the basic tenets of Attachment Parenting. We are different personalities; we're not clones, so you should see some varying opinions on different subjects. Join us as we continue on this exciting ride known as Catholic Mothering!

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Let's Talk Books

Every year I say I am going to do this: keep a list, annotated if possible, of the books I read. One reason this doesn't work for me is that I tend to go back and do comfort reading: re-reading old favorites in the tub before bedtime or when I am not feeling well. But I guess we could list new books that we read as we finish them. I see they do this on the 4real learning forums.

OK. The first book I finished this month was Christ the Lord: out of Egyptby Anne Rice. This book was terrific. It did a good job of portraying Jesus's early life from *his* point of view. CAn't wait for the next one. Anne Rice has an interesting conversion story which she touches on briefly as an afterword to the book.

Green for Dangera vintage mystery by Christiana Brand. This was a very atmospheric thriller about murder in the operating room of a British military hospital in WWII. The last page is a heartrending twist. (No peeking). My husband tells me it was a movie! I had no idea--wonder if I can get it on Netflix?

The newest Dick Francis....excellent as always. These are definitely comfort reading and you do learn interesting bits of information. This one was all about DNA testing. I remember one I read that was about meteorology, and there was a banking one too. Always worthwhile escape reading.

Now I am reading The Story of a Soul. I am ashamed to say I have never read it. It seems very sweet and accessible so I am reading it as training, so to speak, for my annual Lenten attack on St. Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle. For some reason I have never gotten too far into that one.

Late at night I have been re-re-reading The Complete Father Brown Stories in the huge Penguin paperback edition. Mine is falling apart and warped from the steam of my bathtub...nothing is more comforting than GKC.

So what are you reading?