CAPPMoms

We are Catholic moms who follow the basic tenets of Attachment Parenting. We are different personalities; we're not clones, so you should see some varying opinions on different subjects. Join us as we continue on this exciting ride known as Catholic Mothering!

Friday, February 23, 2007

95 Books 95

My uncle and aunt died and left a house full of books. Art, architecture, history, nonfiction (even a few mysteries). My cousins have sold the house and invited us to take what we want. I went out there today and came home with lots and lots of books. It was like Christmas and my birthday all at once. If you can imagine being turned loose in your local B&N to take home as many books as you want for free--that is what it was like. Bookmania!
Many beautiful BIG books about art and architecture. One of my cousins is an architect and they were all bookworms. My uncle read voraciously, especially as he got older and less mobile. History was his favorite subject and I got a few nice books and biographies for my husband and myself. Our older boy got a beautiful book about Vivaldi--lovely photographs of Venice. Even the little guy enjoyed a Time-Life book, "Primates".
I could not abandon these books. Some I had wanted for years. I never buy art books because they are too expensive. We all enjoy looking at them though.
A brief taste of what I got--two volumes of Philippe Aries " A History of Private Life", five issues of "Granta" (I could have taken all of them, there must have been a hundred, but I had no room in my car or my house for them),the collected stories of William Trevor, an Escoffier, "The Cake Bible" by Rose Birnbaum, biographies by Claire Tomalin, Antonia Fraser and Jenny Uglow (why are so many biographies written by women?), novels by Henry Green, Kingsley Amis, Ngaio Marsh and Ruth Rendell. A few gardening books for my husband, "Elizabeth and Essex" by Lytton Strachey. You can see what a good mixed bag it was!
Best of all...I spotted a slim, green cloth bound volume at the back of the shelf.It was called "The Coloured Lands" by G.K. Chesterton. My uncle's signature was on the first page. It was published in 1938--he probably would have been graduating high school then. It is a wonderful collection of fantasy stories and imaginative illustrations by GKC himself! I look forward to reading it. It seems to bring my uncle close to me in a way he wasn't when he was alive.
Now to tidy up the dining room for dinner, then a perfect orgy of reading!